View Single Post
Old 08-25-2023, 11:23 AM   #26
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyTR View Post
After doing my initial repair as noted in this thread, over time and miles things shifted and my soft spot returned. Wavery's suggestion about using the expanding foam was a good suggestion. Except....

I had concerns about being able to remove the tub (if the need ever arose) because the expanding foam would have to be cut before the tub could be pulled. This was my solution...

I add a length of vinyl hose to the spray foam spout. I went in through the bottom/floor vent. I then inserted the hose into a lightweight garbage bag and then worked the bag into the area where I wanted to foam. Once satisfied with the bag placement, I then started spraying the foam. The bag expanded around the areas I needed. I did sort of pull the hose a bit and added more foam as needed until I was satisfied. After curing, I removed the excess bag.

I didn't remove any of the extra foam that had expanded beyond my intended target. Since the vent was still about 60% clear...I didn't worry about it. In hindsight, I wish I had used a smaller bag. BUT...things are solid and I have no worries about the foam being stuck to everything should service ever be needed.

Travis
Excellent idea Travis. I was looking at that channel through the vent and thinking how easy it would be to just slide a tube in there and fill the gap from that direction. But how to block the foam from getting all over behind the converter.... Your idea covers all the bases!

I actually happen to have a couple of nice long bread bags that would probably do the job nicely. Figure I can double bag and that should ensure no leaks into unwanted spaces, or keep them to a minimum. And keep the foam from spewing into the space behind the converter. Should slide into that channel fairly easily and won't be too wide plus support the tub over the entire length of the channel.

The rest of the tub is actually pretty well supported... just that bit at the back corner where the existing styrofoam sheet isn't supported over the channel is really flexy. Will allow the tub and waste pipe to be dealt with should the time ever arise (of course hoping that never happens ) Off to the trailer shortly. "News at 11"