View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 07:25 AM   #7
maxandkona

Looking at the suggestions:

The build up with ABS cement, fiberglass, and shopping bag is a little strange chemically. Fiberglass will add structure. Shopping bags are made of polyethylene which is thin version of the same material used in buckets. Neither should react with ABS cement but hard to argue with proven success. I hadn't thought about cleaning with ABS primer but that is a great idea.

The whole Permatex site looks like a good resource for a lot of patch and repair kits. The one for fixing tanks uses a two part epoxy with fiberglass reinforcement. That would work but doesn't take advantage of of the ABS material in the tank.

The ABS welding could work, although this is just a micro crack that doesn't have a gap to be filled.

Creating a paste with MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) and legos is very clever. Legos are made from ABS and MEK disolves just about any kind of plastic. It's also a good paint remover. This type of paste would have the same color as the legos, a real advantage for a cosmetic situation involving ABS repair.

Putting all this together...
I'm thinking to clean the area with ABS primer, make a black paste using ABS cement and ABS pipe shavings, reinforce with fiberglass mesh (drywall tape), and layering it up to cover the fiberglass. I would want to try this on a scrap pieces of ABS before trying on the tank. I'll get back to the forum on how this works.