View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cochise View Post
The tank is ABS, and you can "weld" it with ABS cement. One way to do this is to clean the outside where the crack appears to be, with ABS primer. Than brush on ABS cement. Better yet At the hardware store where you will pick up the ABS primer and cement, get a roll of fiberglas dry wall tape. The tape should be self-adhesive, and you cut a piece about 2-3 inches longer than the crack. Stick it onto the tank after you have used the primer on the surface. Than just apply 5-6 coats of ABS adhesive over the tape till it is covered. You can apply a piece of clear plastic, like a piece of shopping bag over the patch and hold it in place with painter tape. Next morning you should have a nice weld.

I have done it with several things, the latest was a table saw with a plastic/ABS stand that had broken in two corners. I just added layer after layer of ABS cement and it is just fine. Does it look good? No but it works.

Good luck.
HMMMMM!! I'd agree with the 1st part of your repair suggestion, not sure about the 2nd. ABS Cement is really not the type of "Cement" that most people think of. It has "Zero" strength or "Build-up" capabilities. If you pour a bunch of ABS cement on the floor, 10 days later you will just have a gooey mess. It won't have any mass. I just don't see where the F/G tape would come in or be helpful.

ABS cement merely chemically melts the surface of the two pieces of ABS that are to be adhered to each other. As the two treated pieces re-harden, they become one piece. Just like welding metal. The difference with metal is that you are using metal welding rod that can be built-up to add strength. ABS just doesn't work like that because it is a chemical reaction on the surface (only) of the ABS.

You can buy ABS in thin sheets. Sanding each layer with 80-100g sandpaper will help add to adhesion. It can be heated and molded to fit into the recess that you describe (or any other shape). I would suggest building up several layers. Applying ABS to both surfaces that are to be bonded (the tank and 1st patch). Let that patch dry. Sand or grind off any edges and smooth out the edges. Then make patch #2 a little larger and bond it to patch 1 and the tank (maybe 1/2" beyond the original patch). You could do 4 or 5 layers and buildup quite a bit of strength over a good sized area. Round patches are best but NO square or sharp corners on whatever shape you use.