View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
grakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
Axle capacity is one item I left out that could cause another problem. There should be a marking somewhere on the axle that states this rating. Otherwise, unless someone knows the rated capacity, I will ask TM.
I'm less worried about axle being overloaded then the tires to be honest. But, yes, you shouldn't overload anything.

Quote:
Friends, that margin of 144 lbs. seems quite inadequate to me.
It is, and it's worse if you use a WDH (since it would be easy to transfer weight to the tires) - it's one reason I don't use one. Also, one side of your trailer is likely heavier than the other (appliances, water tanks, etc). Your calculations assume balanced load, which I don't think is accurate.

Quote:
What might save some of us is a travel weight well below 3,956 lbs. Still, do you know your loaded weight?
My 2916 with A/C, awning, dual batteries, and solar panel is 2,860 lbs at the trailer axle, 500 even at the tongue. TM claims 2991 for UVW, so I've got about 400 lbs of extra "stuff" the way I camp (I suspect TM's UVW doesn't include things like full propane bottles or the extra battery). I want to say those weights were with no water (that would add 400+ lbs).