View Single Post
Old 07-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #5
Andromeda

Default Plumbing

Axle capacity is one item I left out that could cause another problem. There should be a marking somewhere on the axle that states this rating. Otherwise, unless someone knows the rated capacity, I will ask TM.

Regarding my name calling, I used very benign names to embarrass the responsible designer, half in jest and half in irritation. After all, I will spend plenty to get this repair completed, one that would be totally unnecessary with proper attention to detail. Still, I could have left it out and I will abide by your rules.

I also hope to warn other owners to allow them the ability to take action before a disaster, one they might avoid. By simply adding a lift kit and 15 inch wheels and 8-ply trailer tires, they reach a combined capacity of 4,800 lbs. on the tires, according to brand and rating, plus 400 lbs. more on the hitch, a totoal of 5,200 lbs. Naturally, tire clearance in the wheel well must function.

Taking the calculation for a standard unit (mine is a 2006 model) a little further regarding tire capacity consider:

With the tires carrying a rated 3,700 lbs. (maximum available in 14" size) and the hitch having 400 lbs., the total available capacity is 4,100 lbs, with the tires in top condition. At a full load of 3,956 lbs, according to the TM certificate, the safety margin is only 144 lbs.

Friends, that margin of 144 lbs. seems quite inadequate to me.

What might save some of us is a travel weight well below 3,956 lbs. Still, do you know your loaded weight?

I saw several replies this morning. Thanks for your assistance.
Andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote