View Single Post
Old 09-04-2004, 10:55 PM   #17
central_texan

Default Personal Experiences

Gail,
I have a 2002 Chevy Silverado pickup with the 5.3L (327 ci) engine with the 3.73 rear end and the tow package. We tow a 3023 and experience only about a 2.5 hit on gas mileage towing the speed limit here in Texas (70 mph). I would guess that if you tow slower you would probably get better.
If your '95 has at least a 5.0 L engine and a rear end of about 3.5 or numerically higher, it would probably tow a TM just fine. Don't worry about a WD hitch as a heavy vehicle like yours would likely not be affected. The only other thing in a tow package are HD shocks and the wiring harness. Both are easily added to a vehicle. I would also, however, get a heavy duty 2" receiver for it and insure that, when hooked up, the combination is very level (get a riser hitch bar, if necessary). Tongue weight should not be more than 400# even for the larger trailers. The van will be a distinct advantage if you are taking grandkids or others along.
One item that entered into our decision making is the exterior storage on the 2720 and the 3023. We store lawn chairs, BBQ grills, flares, etc there so we don't have to sacrifice interior storage space. We would have been happy with a 2720 (not SD or SL) but could not find one in our area (we got a 3023).
You will find that the TMs are a dream to tow since they do not have the big sail effect either from the front or the side. Also contributing to towability is the fact that the center of gravity is very low.

Hope this helps,
Charles