View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 07:31 PM   #8
Mrfixit

I tow a 2720SL with a 2002 V6 Explorer. We don't currently travel far, and mostly within 2 hours of home near Charlotte. At the scales my weights were 400lbs tongue and 3080 axle. We travel very lightly. I've upgraded my class II with a class III hitch, added a brake controller and WDH. Also added a large tranny cooler. I know I don't have the towing gear since the vehicle came from the factory with a class II hitch, but always tow with OD off and map out my trip for the flattest route. Also never travel over 65mph and try to maintain 60mph. I have the lift kit with 15" tires. I have done what I need to for the way I use and tow the TM, knowing that I'll upgrade my TV in the future. I have had no problems in about 5000 miles with this camper.
BTW, the Gen 3 Explorer ('02-'05 I think) has the 7-wire harness installed even if it has no towing package. Up front, the harness end is behind the glove box. The Ford adapter from Prodigy hooked right to it. The other end terminates near the right rear tail light. Just needed to extend the wires to the 7-way rv plug.
Gandy (Blue-Fronted Amazon Parrot)

'03 2720SL
Swing hitch, Roof AC, Attwood elect. tongue jack, Stereo, 2.5" lift kit, 15" Kenda Loadmaster Tires (Load Range D)

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 (5.7 liter Hemi), Prodigy P2, Curt 600# WDH, McKesh Mirrors
Mrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote