View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

What year is your Explorer? That is very important, since Ford changed the entire design in (I think) 2010. The 2009 V-6 was rated 3500 pounds, which will be barely adequate in the circumstances you mention. In 2012/2013, the V-6 is rated 5000 pounds ("properly equipped with the optional Class 3 towing package"), and the I-4 is rated only 2000 pounds. A rating of 2000 pounds is completely inadequate. A rating of 5000 pounds would be great, but the Class 2 hitch says you do not have the towing package. And the towing package includes much more than the hitch. So I would be quite concerned.

Assuming you decide to try to retrofit more towing capacity into your vehicle, you should start with the knowledge that there is no "maybe" about a tranny cooler. It is a must, no matter where you tow.

You will certainly have to add an electric brake controller, and a seven-pin connector (and associated wiring harness) at the rear bumper. I wouldn't worry about a larger alternator, but I'm not sure what to do about the rear suspension components, which will probably be overloaded.

You will certainly need a weight-distributing hitch.

Finally, you are probably aware that all trailer manufacturers list "dry weight" in their specs. There are valid reasons for this practice, but it is also misleading because it doesn't reflect actual loaded ready-to-camp weight. Most folks on this board have found that no matter how light they try to pack, the ready-to-camp TM weighs at least 3600-3800 pounds, and most go over 4000 pounds. Hitch weight of a TM tends to be around 14% of total weight, or 500-550 pounds.

I hate to be discouraging, but from what you have told us, I am not very confident that this is a good way to go. Maybe if you plan to stay within 100 miles of home, and tow slowly and gently ... I don't really recommend this, but it will give you a taste of TM camping, and might cause you to consider a more capable tow vehicle. The upper midwest would be a great place to find out.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote