View Single Post
Old 06-07-2017, 09:19 PM   #34
Gwenne & Len

Quote:
Originally Posted by inghamm View Post
OK, now I'm concerned. I do put some weight distribution on with our Highlander Hybrid, plus bikes in the back and some heavy things in the back of the trailer (2720), and heavy things in the middle of the Highlander. Without that I can see the front wheels too high on the Highlander, and it feels a bit loosey goosey. With the weight distribution hitch it definitely feels more secure driving. I would suggest you do some measuring of wheel well height in the TV before and after hitching up.

Here's some research I did:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/12...ing-hitch.html
We have never felt 'loosey goosey'......one time we felt like the nose of the Highlander was a bit high, and we moved more heavy things to the middle of the TM and that was solved. When we unhitch, our back end goes down 2 1/2 inches, and the front of the car goes up 1/4". We have never had sway, and are careful not to have weight behind the axle, cuz it causes instability, and the farther behind the axle, the more unstable it gets.

Our tongue weight/tow limit is 500/5000 lbs......we know we are pushing it. We were WAY overloaded for our 6 week trip.....but we did fine. Next time we'll have a lot less stuff, so we are probably ok. Hard to give up the good gas mileage of our Highlander......
2012 Highlander
Leelanau County, Michigan
Gwenne & Len is offline   Reply With Quote