View Single Post
Old 06-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #21
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default The trailer hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePair View Post
All Toyota Siennas of 2007 or earlier have all the towing engine parts needed. The tow package added the hitch, and maybe a 4-pin connector. The engines, etc. are all identical for those model years. 2008 is the first year that there were extra engine parts (oil cooler) included in the tow prep package.

Adding a 4 pin connector is simplicity, and adding a 2" hitch is an inexpensive task for a hitch shop. Converting the 4 pin to a 7 pin is a larger job, but there are instructions available if you wanted to try to tackle it yourself (I did, and I have no experience whatsoever, took me an afternoon to get the job done).
Thanks for this info. My Highlander had some extra cooling that came with the tow package, as I recall.

Hitch receivers are actually pretty easy, with several good bolt-on after market choices. The wiring is a little harder, but there are pigtail connectors available at e-trailer.com that can plug in to the vehicle wiring that make it somewhat easier. In my case, I wanted to do it myself so that I could start with a good handle on all of the hitch parts and potential issues. But this is the 5th RV trailer I've owned, so I already knew the general process and had some ideas about how I wanted it to go. These days, there are wonderful sources on the Internet that can show you how to do all kinds of things, but
I still recommend that people new to towing begin with professional setups.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote