Thread: Bugs?
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #18
PaulinCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by grlewis1 View Post
As a Florida camper, you always have to be mindful that this is a tropical state with lots of bugs. Light is always the big draw for any flying insect, so the trick is, keep lights away from the TM Door. I use hanging lights from my awning to draw them away. I have also changed out the light bulb next to the door to amber and put a poster board over the door window to block the inside light. The most active time for mosquitoes is the first 30 minutes after sunset. They settle down after that, and you can usually sit around the campfire without being attacked. Mosquito repellent containing deet also helps. Follow these simple guidelines and you can survive in the Florida campgrounds.
We just had a terrible experience with our 2006 2720 in the Upper Pennisula of Michigan with mosquitoes. They were numerous outside; several would land on you as soon as you stepped outside. At night with everything closed (windows, door, vents the mosquitoes were still getting in. We killed them continously inside until we thought we had them all and went to bed. In the morning, my wife was covered with welts (she's allergic to the little buggers). There were several buzzing around inside. So I did some checking. I turned on the lights inside the camper and went outside when it was dark. Light could clearly be seen at the exterior corners of the bed slides outs and along the wall seal along the wall where the bathroom is. In other campgrounds were were not bothered, but when the concentration of the mosquitoes outside is high, they will find a way in through the "holes". We've since placed clothing on the bed corners and rolled up towels along the bathroom wall seals. Also, there are "holes" near the inside corners of the front bed slide tray that are not completely covered by the mating of the two vinyl seals. A little weight placed on top at those points solves that. If we had to use this unit in places where the bugs were routinely as bad as we exerienced in MI, we would just sell it. P.S. Don't even ask our opinion of the door!