View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

My mistake, and I apologize sincerely for causing you a bit more heartache on top of what you already have. The Tekonsha web site describes the Voyager this way:

"As braking power is applied, the LED changes color gradually from green (completed circuit) to red, to indicate relative braking power". This is the classic description of a time-delay controller (bad!), and I wrongly assumed that is what it meant. In reality, the word "proportional" should have caught my eye. As a proportional controller, the Voyager is fine.

At the same time, I note that Tekonsha offers a wiring adapter for your Land Cruiser, which means that the truck does NOT have an upside down connection. Assuming that your installer used this adapter, it should have worked properly. (There should be a paper tag on the adapter with a part number - you could check it against the part number on the Tekonsha site.)

A brake controller has 4 connections - 12 volt DC power in, ground, braking power out to the trailer brakes, and a connection to the tow vehicle's brake lights. The purpose of the brake light connection is to tell the controller when you step on the brake pedal, so that it can begin braking the trailer. If you are getting trailer braking without stepping on the pedal, then either

1. the controller itself is bad, or
2. the brake light connection is connected to something other than the brake light, or
3. there is a wrong connection in the wiring to the 7-pin connector at the back of your Land Cruiser.

With regard to number 3, did your Land Cruiser come with a 7-pin connector? Or did someone add it? And note that there is no such thing as a 4-pin-to-7-pin adapter that will work. Actually, I don't think the problem lies here, since you could kill the problem by unplugging the controller while leaving the trailer plugged in.

It is easy to check the controller itself - just ask the installer to unplug your Voyager, and temporarily substitute another Voyager. If this fixes the problem, then you keep the new Voyager. If the problem remains, then the installer has to find the wiring problem and fix it. Any U-Haul shop that installs hitches should be willing to do this - you don't have to drive to the original shop if it is far away.

Good luck, and again, my apologies for the scare.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote