View Single Post
Old 06-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
kwstaton

Default Brake controller

I need help figuring out what is wrong with my brake controller and who to take it to to get it fixed. Yesterday, we purchased our first Trailmanor, a 2008 2720 and I drove to Shreveport from Houston to pick it up using my 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser. Last week, I had a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller installed by U-Haul. When we got the trailer hooked up, as soon as I first applied the brakes, they felt very jerky. I was able to get up to the 25 mph required to do the manual set for the brake controller, but by that point, it had worsened to the point where my car was almost lurching when moving forward without applying the brakes. No adjustments I did on the brake controller helped and by this point, all of my vsc and check engine warning lights were on. I pulled over and unplugged the trailer from my car connector and was able to find a nearby auto shop that installs hitches. They pretty much refused to look at it, but were able to disconnect the brake controller (my car was prewired and they disconnected it at the plastic clip under my dash). We then plugged the trailer back in so that I could have brake lights, and then I drove it back home to Houston. At this point, I'm not sure if I take it back to U-Haul, or do I need to get it in to Toyota? Do I need to tow the trailer there to make sure things work properly? Or could this be a problem with the Trailmanor brake system?

I'm not at all mechanical, so any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kimberlea
kwstaton is offline   Reply With Quote