View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
hartsafyre

Post Elkmont owners - can you answer some questions?

Hi all. I've decided on the Elkmont 24, sofa bed, and all that space! I've upgraded from the 2720SL (I WAS going to get) for this model as I plan on being a full-timer for years. I saw one yesterday in NC, and spent quite a bit of time in it, carefully looking at the space and amenities. It's gorgeous, and loads of space and storage.

I hope you don't get tired of the 9-10 questions I have. Your answers will be carefully considered before I order it (a 2012 model). Here goes:

1. At campgrounds with full hook-ups, can the sewer hose be connected directly so as to get rid of the ‘black water’ directly, and not have to dump it at a dump station? The same question for the gray water. This is all new to me, as I’ve only tent camped. (some one said: I'm not sure why you would have to switch out the recirc toilet if you have full hookups?)
2. Which do you prefer: recirculating toilet, or the flush toilet? And why?
3. Has anyone done a front window mod IF it’s not available from the factory? Who had it done for you if not factory. Did it seal correctly? What about a shield for it while towing?
4. My TV is a 2011 Toyota Tacoma, 4x4, v6, 6500 lb max towing capacity, factory installed towing package.
5. How do I find out what the max tongue weight I can put on it?
6. Won’t a WDH and stabilizer/sway control bars add weight to the tongue?
7. Does the Reece Dual Cam take care of BOTH, WDH & sway control? I’m confused as all get out.
8. Another mod question. The ELKMONT 24, with sofa bed. The dinette bench seat (the long part that faces the door): It has only about 1/3 of the length as storage under the seat, on the right side. It would be easier to access if drawers were installed so as not to lift the cushion and board. Has anyone done this mod? My concern is matching the fabric, and if not that, matching the wood of the cabinets. Wonder if the factory would sell 2 or 3 yards of the fabric to the customer to cover the face of the drawer.
9. Those of you who have solar panels. Are they permanently attached, and does the TM have to be in full sun all the time? If not, what’s your set up if not permanent roof installed?

Thank you in advance.

Maria

PS - I spent a weekend with the Appalachian Trailblazers (2 summers ago?) They kindly, and proudly, showed off their TM's, and were not shy or hesitant to share their knowledge on the how-to's, or to answer all my questions. Thank you guys! The TM has been the only TT that has consistently been at the top of my list. I toyed briefly with the idea of an Aliner, and a Chalet, and though nice and roomy for their size, nothing beats the TM. That's why I'm at this point. Ready to buy!