View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
cochise

Default May I?

We bought our Elkmont the same place as Brulaz, in Texas, about 1000 miles from home. We had been assured by Mr. Schultz at Texas RV Center that we would have no problem pulling the trailer with out 2007 Hyundai Santa Fe V6, 3.6L engine with the tow package. The dealer did install a brake control and WDH on the Santa Fe.

Well we did get it home. There were a few places where the engine labored, but not too seriously. I have since learned from the hitch supplier, E-Trailer, that the installed hitch is good for a max load of 3500 lb and only 350 on the tongue. So after we got home I decided that it probably was a bit much for the Santa Fe, and got a 2003 Silverado with a V6 4.3 L engine and the GM tow package which included the tranny tow selector. We have been driving around in Southern Arizona and into California and we have had no problems what-so-ever. I am getting about 13.5 miles to the gallon, but I do keep my speed at an bout 55 MPH, as I think it is safer, and besides that’s the law in CA. The Silverado is good for 5000 lb of trailer weight and I keep my generator in the truck bed along with the grill, a 5 gl canister of gas and other necessities.

When we brought it back from Texas we did take it to a truck scale and the numbers came out about what Brulaz mentioned in one of his excellent weight break downs. As far as sway control, we have NO problem with that, although when a big 18 wheeler shoots by at 70 MPH I feel a very slight pull that doesn’t bother me. And we have gone up some steep inclines out here too, with no problems. Truck had about 68 K on the odometer when I got it and we are up to 75 K now.

So with a properly installed and adjusted WDH we have not had any problems. It is important to try to keep the hitch horizontal to and level with the ground so that everything is well distributed. And I have been in contact with Goodyear, and been told that the 65 PSI tire pressure is for the max weight load per tire of 2540 lb. Our trailer weight is under 4000 lb so I am going to let some air out of the tires and see if the ride gets a little smoother for the stuff in the trailer.

I should mention that the Silverado has disc brakes on all four wheels.
cochise is offline   Reply With Quote