View Single Post
Old 05-31-2010, 12:00 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbit View Post
One minor correction: the engine is a 3.6L, not a 3.8.

From the brochure:

Trailering provision package: Extends trailering capacity up to 4,500 lbs, includes transmission cooler, wiring harness and factory-installed hitch. Includes compact aluminum spare wheel.

One nice feature is the addition of a trailer towing mode for the transmission. It changes the shift points on the tranny and prevents engaging overdrive.
Bigbit

You need a lot more information than just the maximum towing capacity of your tow vehicle. All that tells you is the maximum amount of fully loaded trailer that you are able to tow with your vehicle and often allows only for a driver and no cargo in the TV.

It's important to know what your GCWR is. Also your tire rating, rear axle rating, tongue weight rating etc...... One cannot just pick one rating and figure that they are good to go because the dry weight of the trailer is less than any one particular rating (like the "Tow rating").

It is also important to know what the weight is that you are towing. Also the weight of the passengers and cargo that you are carrying. Dry weight means nothing and GVW of the trailer should be considered as your trailer weight IMO....

I have a 1/2 ton Chevy pick-up and I would find towing an Elkmont to be beyond the capacity of my truck. There is little doubt that my truck would tow it however, I am right at full capacity with my 4000# TM 2720 with a 515# tongue weight and a Class IV trailer hitch now. If I were to tow an Elkmont, I would prefer a 3/4 ton pick up.....but then.....that's just me. I have found that exceeding tow vehicle weight limits (any of them) is risky, at best.

Here's a couple of websites that you may find helpful:
http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-tt.shtml

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-p...hicle/gcwr.htm