View Single Post
Old 09-16-2006, 01:31 PM   #6
delawareprogrammer

Default some clarification

Got my first in-person experience with a TM today, thanks to pbuck1 and his wife who were camping nearby in one of our Delaware State Parks. Thanks, Paul, it really helped to see things close up.

Some more searching on this (wonderful) site led me to some posts regarding the adjustment of old-style torsion bars. I found some posts by skoegler in 2004 and found out via email that he was the previous owner of the 87 tm 23 that I am thinking of buying. Apparently, the front section of the tm was redone with new (heavier) aluminum and this increased the weight of that section by < 200 lbs. The torsion bars were designed for a lighter weight, thus the difficulty in raising the section. Scott adjusted the tension as far as possible, but it wasn't enough to compensate for the weight. I emailed Ed at Trailmanor regarding the replacement of the torsion bars. He says it is a big job but could be done with the help of a welder. I haven't seen the rig yet (I'm driving to see/probably buy it this coming Friday), so I'll have to try it for myself to find out how difficult it is for me to get it open. I'm optimistic. I think the price allows for some idosyncracies such as this.

skoegler also filled me in on a bunch of other "history" of the rig, so I feel comfortable enough to make the long drive to see it. I have made an appointment in the town where the trailer is to have a brake controller and 7-wire connection installed, assuming I'm happy with the sight inspection.
Also, I want to see how the hookup looks when I hitch the TM to my van, to determine whether to get a WDH hitch right away or to wait. Thanks for all your helpful comments on the brake controller. I have no experience with this since my 1967 Shasta 14' has no electric brakes, and receives a 4-wire electrical connection.

Thanks again for all your advice so far. I'll post again next weekend with the results of my trip home.

Randy in Delaware