View Single Post
Old 09-12-2006, 06:00 PM   #3
delawareprogrammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
DP -

If it is hard to open, there is clearly something wrong, probably with the torsion bars and surrounding apparatus. Do this.

Peer underneath and find the 8 torsion bars (4 front, 4 rear), and make sure none of the ones associated with the front shell are broken. This would be unusual, but it can happen.
In the pictures, the torsion bars look okay. They're laying down horizontally when the rig is closed, vertical when open. What would be "broken" about a torsion bar? Bent? Missing? I have no idea how they work.

Quote:
You say the front shell closes easily. Question: does it close "easily", or does it drop like a rock? If the latter, I would again suspect a broken torsion bar. If it closes "really really easily", but doesn't "drop like a rock", it may be grossly misadjusted. Easy fix, at least by a dealer. Or Search for a post by Denny_A on the topic, if you would like to do it yourself.
I didn't get the impression that it was dropping like a rock... but maybe. I'll look for Denny's post. Thanks.

Quote:
When the front closes, does it tend to close crooked? Or does it drop nicely and squarely into place?
There was mention of a 1" gap when open that could be fixed with a towel stuffed in. Would misalignment cause this also?

Quote:
The body work that was done on the front - was it done on the lower part (the "box") or the upper part ("the shell")?
Has anything been added to the roof of the front shell? Any weight up there (bikes, solar panels, air conditioner, etc) will make it hard to open until the torsion bars are adjusted to compensate for the added weight.
The shell. Nothing up there in the pics. The a/c is on the side.

Quote:
Look around all the seams in the front shell. Look around the inside of the front shell. Any sign of water damage (or recent camoflage cleaning)? If there is 40 pounds of water in the walls, it could cause the problem you describe.
The claim is no water damage. Wouldn't there also be a "sloshing" sound?