View Single Post
Old 07-18-2004, 08:21 AM   #4
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Re:Towing a 1998 T.M. 3023

Ditto to Camperboy's excellent remarks and a couple more thoughts....

I checked the location and see it's California. California towing almost inevitably means crossing mountains with the concomitant steeper grades, lower power at higher altitude, etc. It also normally means much higher ambient temperatures. All of this means you need to strictly keep your maximum, loaded trailer weight to less than 80% of the vehicle's "tow rating".

Furthermore, the 3023 is a deceptive unit...its empty weight is fairly light but it has the storage capacity and carrying capacity (e.g. heavy duty axle) to allow, even encourage heavy loading. 'Tis very easy to bring a 3023 up to 5000 lbs loaded.

A loaded 3023 is simply way too much trailer...both in length and weight...for a Highlander to tow...period. The Highlander's 3500 lb "tow rating" is based on a completely empty, minimum option, empty gas tank, no passengers situation...and at that it's just barely greater than the weight of a typically equipped yet completely unloaded 3023. In other words, a Highlander with a small driver (and no passengers or load) might suffice to bring home an empty 3023 from the dealer. Even with an empty 3023, it would be way over its design limit the instant you put some passengers and cargo in the Hiighlander and filled the gas tank. Put some gear/food/water in the trailer and the Highlander would now be dangerously above its design capabilities.

I think Toyota makes great vehicles and I truly love my Tundra but I wouldn't tow a 3023 in California with any Toyota SUV smaller than either a Sequioa or Land Cruiser (equipped with the V8)...even a V8 4-Runner is a bit small in the wheelbase area.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote