View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 08:01 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Hmmm. You are thinking of mounting nearly 500 pounds of weight (basket plus cart) centered 2 feet behind the TM's rear bumper?

My initial thought is that the TM's optional rear bumper hitch is rated for only about 100 pounds. You have to ask why it is limited to this number, and what it means to ignore it, especially by that much?

First, strength of the mounting scheme has to be considered, as you mentioned. A lot of reinforcing will be needed to change a 100 pound limit to 500 pounds.

Beyond that, a weight this far back will take probably 200 pounds of weight off the hitch at the front of the TM. Most TMs, packed and ready to camp, have a hitch weight of 350-400 pounds. Hitch weight of any trailer (not just a TM) must be at least 10% of the total weight being towed, and TM uses 14% to avoid sway. Cutting the hitch weight to half or lower is really not a good idea. It almost guarantees you will encounter a lot of trailer sway.

It also increases the gross weight of the ready-to-camp trailer by 500 pounds. What is your tow vehicle, and what is its trailer weight rating?

I don't mean to be Debbie Downer here, but my opinion is that you should really rethink this idea.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote