View Single Post
Old 08-08-2003, 06:08 PM   #17
Happytrails

Default Re:I tend toward the elegant and unexpected "camping" fare...

Sounds good Bill, I'll have to try that sometime........(BTW, it's a clove of garlic, and I believe it's a root/bulb). But at any rate, still sounds really good. I have something I do that's a bit unusual, but as it turns out, doesn't taste ANYTHING like it starts out, or like one would think. Whenever I make up a roast, for the broth, I use two cans of sunny delight to one can of beef broth. (Instead of using water like the label says on the broth can). This can be done both in a crock pot, as well as in a pan in the oven, though I prefer glass corning ware for roasts etc....... Toss in one teaspoon of cinnemin, and two teaspoons of sugar, and a simple "roast" spice pack (Mcormacks) from the grocery store, oh, and a few peppercorns. After a few hours at a low temp in the oven such as 275-300 degrees, or crock pot, the broth, and sunny delight merge into something VERY different tasting, but VERY good! Not to mention how nice the whole house smells as well! Also, I'll toss in a small box of raisins in with the baby carrots, baby red bud potatoes, and perl onions, it adds a different kind of "element" to the mixture, but is still VERY GOOD! And no, not at all like one would think does it taste at all like orange! I've had friends over that are VERY good cooks, taste it, and really love it, and yet can't for the life of them figure out what I used with the sunny delight. The big thing is it can be thrown together in just a few mins, 5-10 mins or so, and a few hours later, you have a very delicious roast that noone has ever tasted before, and the meat melts off of your fork! (In a crock pot, I can throw it all together the night before in the crock pot ready to go, keep it in the fridge overnight, and put it in the pot on low heat right before I leave for work, and it comes out PERFECT by the time I get home from work!) A word from the wise though, don't OVER cook it! If you do the 24hour thing with it, it will make the meat a bit on the bitter side, everything else will still be tasty, but the meat will be a bit "bitter". I also use almost the same recipe without the roast spice pack, and beef broth for hams, preferring honey glazed presliced ones where I can drip honey on it while it's cooking, and I add pinapple, and manderin orange slices. In this case, it does retain a bit of the orangy taste, but goes quite well with the ham, and white wine goes along with it well!

BTW Ray, I printed out your recipies, definately want to try them sometime, THANKS!

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails........[/glow]