View Single Post
Old 10-06-2003, 02:23 PM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Carrying emergency (or generator) gasoline

I seem to have been beset with AAADD, also known as CRS disease. On two separate occasions last year, I got so overawed with the scenery as we drove that I forgot to watch my tow vehicle's gas gauge. Last time it happened, we coasted into Zuni Pueblo, NM, on fumes, not even knowing if the Pueblo had a gas station. I told myself "No more - gotta find a way to carry some emergency gas."

But where to carry it? For those who tow with a pickup truck, no problem - just toss a 5-gallon can in the truck bed. But for anyone who tows with a closed vehicle, its a little more complicated. I don't want to carry a can of gasoline inside the TM - it stinks! For the same reason, I can't put a gas can in the way-back of the tow vehicle - and in addition, I don't want gasoline flying around the passenger compartment in the event of an accident.

So I decided to whomp up a simple gas can carrier for the back bumper of the TM. The results are shown in the photo. The whole thing cost less than $10, including the 2+ gallon gas can. All the parts came from Home Depot, which means you can also get them from Lowe's, Aubuchon, or any reasonably complete hardware store. The carrier itself is just a piece of sheet metal and a couple metal framing straps, cut to size, bent, painted, and bolted together with #10 stainless steel nuts and bolts. It is held to the rear bumper with two 4" square U-bolts (BTW, 4-1/4" U-bolts would be better if you can find them). The can is held in the rack with a bungee (not shown in the photo). The placement allows the TM to be opened and closed without removing the can. What a nice feature - I won't drive off and leave the can in the campsite!

Some of us could carry gasoline for a generator here. But for me, next time I forget to watch the gauge, I'll have 30 miles worth of emergency gasoline handy. And if that isn't enough - well, it's 30 miles less I have to walk.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GasCan11.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	238  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote