View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 11:00 PM   #6
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I would vote for buying one of the Honda generators; they are a fairly quiet, and will keep your campground neighbors happier than using one of the less expensive ones. For me, having to endure hours on end of loud generator noise ruins my camping experience. I'd rather be home; at least it's quiet here. Some have recommended the Yahamas; I've never heard one, but have heard many of the Honda 2000's running in campgrounds we've been in (you can definitely hear them a few campsites away, but they aren't that offensive) and a couple of the Honda 1000's (you can barely hear them, even in the campsite next to you) but they may not power what you need.

We have yet to buy one. I'd really like to buy a solar panel, but we take our aging kitty with us when we camp, and we always have to camp in the shade when we camp in the summer to keep her cool during the day when we're out exploring. In the winter, we just stay at full-hookup parks. We dry-camped for six nights this past month without having to charge up the batteries, and they didn't go under 12.4V (but this was an AM reading when they were cold; in the afternoon they warmed up and read 12.5V).

As was stated in the earlier posts, the generator you should buy depends entirely upon what you expect to run with it, and how much you care about your camping neighbors. I've even thought about buying a Honda 2000 just so that I could lend it to people who have loud generators who are camped next to us.