View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #19
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip View Post
Paul,

I was concerned about the hard ride at 80PSI with an "E" load rating. I also went onto the Carlisle Tire website and they also say that you should also always run the tire at the max pressure.

So, where am I now. I am leaning toward getting a "D"load rated tire and running it at virtually max. pressure. Actually, if you look at the load rating of a "E" rated tire at 70PSI it is only 80 lbs more than a "D" rated tire at its max. pressure of 65PSI. Since my TM is approx. 3500 - 3600lb loaded, I feel comfortable with the 2450 load capacity of a "D" rated tire. 80 PSI for a "E" rated tire just seems like a rock hard ride!

Phil
Phil,

I went through the same process that you did. I figured that I was upgrading from tires that were rated @ 1875# each (which is what comes from the factory). I figured that going with a 35% increase in capacity was a sufficient margin to make me feel comfortable with the tires under any conditions that I will ever use them in.

The Maxxis that I purchased from "Just Tires" had a date code of 2810. They ordered them from a local warehouse that had plenty of the "D" or "E" tires in stock (at that time).

According to the Maxxis manufacturer, I could run my tires @ 50PSI. I run them @ 60PSI and I feel comfortable there. After-all, I was running 50PSI on the lower rated tires that I took off and that pressure supported the trailer just fine. I would think that 60-65PSI in "E" rated tires would be more than enough too but to each his own.

My thinking is that if the tire pressure is too high for the load, one may experience uneven tire wear in the center of the tire tread.