View Single Post
Old 08-10-2023, 12:47 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The roof air conditioner is non-ducted. In other words, it blows cold air directly into the room, rather than through a series of ducts. To my knowledge, non-ducted RV systems are never quiet, since the fan is right there. However, I think within the past couple months, one of our members needed to replace his air conditioner, and did so with one that was not the same as the TM-supplied unit. He said it was "a little quieter". You need to spend some time reviewing the "air conditioner" posts for that time frame, see if you can find it.

In the list of options, I'm not sure there are any I would buy elsewhere. I think shipping and installation labor would cost you more than any saving. If you are looking to save money, you might ask if there are any options you don't need. However, depending on your time frame, getting a special-ordered configuration might take longer and cost you more. For instance, I never saw the use for an outside gas grill connector. But I bet it would have cost me more to have the factory remove it than I would save.You would have to explore this with your dealer.

How far are you willing to drive to find a dealer? There aren't many, as you know. There is a TM dealer a couple miles from the factory in South Dakota. He would not have to charge you for shipping if you picked it up there. Would it help? I don't know, and of course it would depend on your willingness to pick it up there.

If you attend a major RV show where TM is showing, you might get a break. Show specials are often a good deal. Call in advance to see if anyone is bringing a 3124 as a show special. And if you find one, be prepared to go to the show in a properly equipped tow vehicle.

In the northern half of the country, end-of-season prices might be lower. The dealer doesn't want to carry an inventory over the winter.

Prices in the east are generally lower than prices in the west.

Some dealers will deliver your unit to you. But you won't like the cost.

I bet none of this is a surprise to you, but if any of it helps, that's good.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote