View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

It was 29 degrees and windy in Longmont, CO last night. My wife and I made do with a single electric space heater, and didn't turn on the furnace because we are low on propane. We were comfortable, but not wildly toasty. The furnace would have made all the difference, of course, but we chose not to use it. Our preferred solution is an old-fashioned electric blanket (which works only when you have hookups, of course), topped with a comforter.

I've had two Explorers, a 2002 and now a 2007, both with the small V-8 and factory tow package, and both tow-rated somewhere around 6800 pounds. For our traveling (heavily loaded, travel in the Rockies and Sierras), I would not have a smaller vehicle. But as you know, Ford fundamentally changed the Explorer in 2010 (?). It is now a completely different vehicle (a Taurus, actually), and I'm not sure I would tow with one.

You might take a look at the specs for the 2013 Explorer, even if you don't plan to buy one. It shouldn't be too different from the 2012, but the tow ratings are supposed to be more "meaningful" since the industry adopted a set of standards for determining tow ratings.

I haven't done a lot of research yet, but the F-150 with the Eco-Boost engine is kind of exciting. The bi-turbo should do a lot for high altitude work - if that matters to you.

Don't know if this helps, but there it is.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote