Thread: TV Purchase
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #29
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Is the 3.0L diesel overkill? Based on my towing with my 4.7L gas engine, and our 5.7L Hemi gas engine, I don't think so. But, I am at high altitude, and will tow many miles at high altitude, climbing many hills. My 4.7L normally-aspirated would have frustrated me on every trip.

I get 28 mpg with my diesel at 65 mph (not towing). The Hemi gets 18 mpg in same situation.

Diesel costs from the same as Regular Unleaded, to $0.40 per gallon more, in the Denver area. It was $0.20 per gallon more on our trip to Glacier. With the added fuel economy, my diesel (admittedly, purchased used) will cost less to own than a gas Grand Cherokee, over the life of 125,000 miles. I will keep mine much longer, as I am currently driving over 45,000 miles per year, mostly for my job. Fuel economy is a huge factor. Have not spent a penny on repairs in the 3 months, 15,000 miles I have had it. Oil changes are pricey ($150 for "the works"), but only are done every 12,500 miles.

I ran the numbers many times before I purchased, and called 3 dealerships' service departments. They all said the diesel didn't seem to be in the shop any more than regular engines, so they felt they were good engines.

If you don't drive much, diesels aren't worth it. But, in my opinion, if you tow, and drive over 15,000 miles a year (towing, or not), they are worth it, as long as fuel remains within $0.20 per gallon, on average. So far, I have been closer than that on price, so I have made good ground on the price differential!
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote