View Single Post
Old 07-31-2010, 08:52 AM   #56
tgpmd1
TrailManor Master

I am the research queen according to my friends.

My family grew up with everything from VW campers, PU truck mounted campers, RV's no bigger than a large van to 5th wheels. My DH and I have been tent campers for over 25 years. I'm a spoiled camper. I have a camping kitchen with a double sink, a screen house and DH can rig tarps that keep everyone dry. We are the place to be when it rains. So when I suggested that we, 'move up' to a better system. He had no idea that I meant a camper. Getting up in the middle of the night is just such a bummer when it's snowing, raining or just about anytime nowadays.

So before we/I turned 50, I wanted something with a bed off the ground (arthritis) and a bathroom. Not too much to ask. DH likes to camp as far away as possible from the bath house, so makes for a long hike at night. I also know that towing something as big as a 5th wheel is a lot of work. My parents had a small RV, but basically without taking a separate car, you pretty much need to pack up the campsite to go anywhere if there is no transportation available. Also didn't want something as heavy as a Hi-Lo (you know that they went of of business last month?). Also, we've seen some trailers overturned or worse yet, it pieces after breaking up along the highway (we travel out west every other year). So the TM seemed to be the best of available choices. Low, light weight compact.

I started my search almost exactly 2 years ago this month. Decided on a TM almost immediately. Never saw one until I noticed one on the highway about 18 months ago. Didn't see one 'in person' until we went to an RV show last fall. DH agreed that he liked the 2720SL, but since we're a one income family, a new one was not an option. Finally found my dream TM just over two weeks ago. Still haven't taken it out yet as I'm working on making everything brand spanking new. Hopefully next week. Checked with the Naval Base and it will be allowed to be used in the group camping area. No hookups, but we'll see how it goes. Just having a debate over the tires with DH. Look new, seem new, but we'll see. I'd like to get new ones, but we'll repack the bearings and inspect the stems today. The good news is that the camp ground is only 90 miles away.

Also, if it wasn't for this Owner's Forum, I'm not sure I would have been so sure about buying a used camper. Turns out we've spent very little so far to fix, clean, etc. Installing a prodigy brake controller system today or tomorrow. Watched the video and it seems pretty easy. What's not so easy is that our TM is parked in the bottom of the driveway on a slope (see profile pic). It has a bump to go up, then a bit steeper at the bottom.

It would be interesting to see if anyone else saw a TM in person before they decided it was for them.
Prodigy Brake Controller
2.5" Factory Lift Kit
15" Dexstar Wheels
15" Karrier Loadstar Tires w/TR-416 Stems
Bill's Screen Door kit
And a host of other mods...

14 y.o. 'Sasha' (aka 'Miss Kitty), started fostering 12/24/10 and adopted 3/15/11

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tgpmd1 is offline   Reply With Quote