View Single Post
Old 04-24-2009, 08:04 AM   #20
Pittsbrat

Wow, thanks for all the input, folks. I don't mean to be negative. I really feel strongly both ways.

On the one hand, having the TV at the shows would be handy, and towing a car with a motorhome creates a somewhat more stressful drive. The price of a TM is right, given the storage advantage. Having lived through the pop-up experience when the kids were little and we did actually go camping means I already have most of the accessories involved.

On the other hand, there's something to be said for just parking, plugging in water and power and being done with the whole thing. Plus for the passengers to have access to the head, fridge etc enroute (plus the additional moving around room) makes the drive much easier for them. The motorhome would be better on creature comforts, but at the expense of maintenance, purchase/storage cost and operating cost. If we went the motorhome route we'd probably end up with something like a gas-powered 30 foot Class A Winnebago. 3-4 years old and you're looking at at least $65K and at most 8 mpg. That's a little tough to swallow. It's not the money, it's the value (or lack thereof).

I will look a little more deeply into the TM, perhaps a bigger model than the 2720SL we picked on paper.