View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 04:39 PM   #1
Buck Mills

Default Lots of Questions about TM and 3124Ks

First, forgive my long post. I have scoured the pages for few days but haven’t found direct answers for many of my concerns. I’ll be calling TM on Monday to get some answers from them but owners may have better solutions-advice?

I’ve pretty much decided on a 3124Ks. I’m even considering a brand new Anniversary Edition, unless I could find a much better deal on a recent model. The Anniversary Edition looks sweet! I currently have a 2005 Chalet XL1910. I considered the TM’s before I bought this one but I was sold on the VERY EASY and quick set up. I’m planning on retiring this coming December and spending a year traveling the US and to decide where to retire. It will just be me and my cat.

The TM set up may not be that hard but it still isn’t as easy and fast as the Chalet but for a year long adventure I would rather have more room and more comfort. I have not gone to a dealer yet but I have looked at a 2720SL when in Yellowstone a few years ago and believe the 3124Ks would work well. I would be using my 2000 v8 Tundra for TV. There is a RV show in Denver next weekend and if TM is showing I may go, there is also a dealer in Colorado Springs with a 2007 3124Ks which I may look at.

Of the options I could have built to order in a new model I have a few questions.

• Low Profile Roof Air Conditioning- Does this provide heat too, seems like I read somewhere it did?
• TV Antenna w/Amplifier - Would I need this is I got the Satellite system?
• Hanging cabinet over sink, Hanging cabinet over stove - Are these too much of a pain to setup, in frequent stop camping than they are worth?
• Microwave Box w/Drawer - What does this really do, is it necessary
• All Woodgrain Vinyl Floor - Would look nice, any concerns?
• Swing Hitch (reduces length by 2') Can this be changed later?
• TV Shelf Is this necessary if you get the 17” LCD?
• Satellite Dish/TV Ant Combination Can this be used with Directv or only Dish network?
• "17""LCD TV/CD/DVD w/TV tuner" Can these be used as a computer monitor for my laptop???
• Plumb Quick Connect for Ext Grill Is this necessary with the Anniversary edition, can it be used with an outdoor stove as well?
• Power Lift/Level Jacks W/Remote "$2,170.00 " Expensive, but it might be a valuable extra.
• Anniversary Edition Package *"$2,940.00" again an expensive extra, but I do really like the marble look countertops, the leather looks nice, the outdoor grill… If I am living in this for a year a pleasant environment would be a plus.

When added in all my desired options the bill came close to 40K. I suppose I could find a recent 2005-2007 model and add some of the custom items myself but I have seen 2006-2007 models with fewer options for 26000 anyway.

Additional Questions.

I like to boon dock in NF and BLM land when possible. Any suggestions for TM’s on somewhat rough roads? The wash boarding has shaken a few things loose in my Chalet, should I expect worse in a TM? Should I drop some of the luxury items because I may be on rough roads>
I couldn’t use some of the luxury features when boon docking, but I’d also be staying in commercial CG’s with power at times.

I also need a solution for internet but I’ll probably just get one of the ATT usb cards so I can connect when I am in more urban locales. The satellite systems are way too expensive.

Do you know if you can add an extra access door. I was thinking about a small door I could use to put my cat inside while the TM is closed for times when I stop and don't want to leave her in the car. I'd assume it'd stay more comfortable in there if I stop for lunch or something.

Thanks,
Buck