View Single Post
Old 01-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #18
Paul_Heuvelhorst

Linda,
The price structure of RVs is very different from automobiles. However, most auto dealers consider it a good deal ($20-$30K prices) if they can make $500 to $1,000 over their cost. I have purchased several vehicles for my personal use by offering them $500 over their invoice, which is several thousand dollars less than the MSRP.

The numbers you list are still the MSRP, not the dealer invoice, and those should not be the prices from which you negotiate. I think you can realistically figure that the dealer's actual cost on the trailer is about 20-25% less than the MSRP, and the options are somewhere between 30-50% less than the MSRP. Destination charges are usually the actual cost and normally cannot be negotiated. Everything else is negotiable.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the dealer offered me 10% off the top before I even asked for it. Then I started negotiating. That was 10 years ago, so I can't give you my opinion on current TM costs... just a strategy. BTW, did I mention, before I retired I was a professional buyer in public education? That is where I learned to research pricing structures and negotiate.