View Single Post
Old 10-09-2007, 01:36 AM   #11
larsdennert

We bought ours used and it was well used and traded in at a Winnebago dealer. They had no idea what to do with it or even how to open it. When I bought it, I saw many small problems but none were serious to cause me worry. To my surprise, the Winnebago dealer wouldn't release the unit to me for several days wanting to go through it completely. They checked everything they could, redid the brakes and bearings and replaced whatever trim and brackets they could. Then they sent me off with a care package filled with stuff a new RV'er needs like toilet paper and chem, sewer hose, electrical 30A to 20A plug, an extra awning crank and a new jack crank. They fixed the Toyota RV wiring converter and installed a brake controller. Then they had the nerve to wash the TM and 4Runner to like-new shape.

My point is that Dealers vary. This was Altman's Winnebago Baldwin Park CA BTW. It sounds like the dealers working on your TM are horrible. Altman's didn't fix everything. I ended up using some stouter screws in some of the trim like the wardrobe track and the small bracket that supports the shower walls when folded. Fixing a bunch of little things now will prevent more serious issues later.

I don't want to make light of your issues, but stepping back, they all appear to be minor in problem. If the mirror comes off, use something stronger to reattach it. If the cabinet is loose, a few brackets and sheet metal screws from a hardware store should fix it up. Bath walls could have a bracket loose at the sink too and just need some long deck screws to make it bullet proof. Misaligned shells just need someone slightly skilled to adjust the torsion bars. Take a screwdriver and tighten up the outside door latch. Super glue does wonders for loose velcro. My point is that I don't see any serious structural issues mentioned. I bet if you found the right mechanic/handyman it would cost a fraction of a lawsuit in money and headache. I honestly wish you luck with whatever route you go and hope you will be Rv'ing on that route soon.