View Single Post
Old 08-01-2020, 04:52 PM   #33
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryjb View Post
When you say you will put the fridge in the back of the truck for now, that confuses me because I don't know of any TM fridge that was movable like that. I believe all TM fridges throughout the years could run on propane, making it a permanent appliance.
Like Larry, I'm a little confused by the "put it in the back of the truck" thought. Do you have a portable refrig? That changes the discussion a bit.

There are two kinds of portable electric refrigerators. One is called thermo-electric, and it operates on what is called the Peltier effect. I've had a couple, and they are good because they are inexpensive ($100 range). But they are not very effective, and they are horribly inefficient. They draw something like 10 amps continuously, so if you don't have an external source of DC to run it, they will kill an ordinary battery in about 3 hours.

The other is a compressor refrig - use the Forum search tool to find a lot of good information and user comments about them. They are much more expensive than a thermo-electric refrig (think $700-$1000+), but they have a real compressor (like a household refrig), which makes them very good at cooling while drawing much less DC power.

Are you describing either one of these in your post?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote