View Single Post
Old 07-21-2020, 02:22 PM   #23
TnP-2027

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
You are tickling a memory here. Long ago when the Forum was just getting organized, one of the original members (the original RockyMtnRay) bought a 600-pound WDH. I think he found it to be a bit light (his word). At about the same time, I got a 1200-pound unit, and found it to be way too stiff. So let those numbers bracket your choice - probably best to stay on the light side of the span.

I can't find Ray's original post. I think it disappeared when the Forum was re-organized early in its existence. We lost a lot of good info then.

Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcassel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickst29 View Post
IMO, that's not "big enough". You'll be adjusting too close to the maximum torque all the time, and the bars will tend to become "worn out" and even bent over time. The problems occurs when you're at extremely high torque (compared to the design limit), and then hit a pothole. The bars go "whack!", kinda hard.

I agree with Rocky Mtn Ray's post. Go with 800 lbs as the lowest "design limit" for the possible 400-550 lb range of "heavily loaded" TM tongue weights. "1000 lb" designs also work pretty well, even though they're a bit harder to lift up and (theoretically) have a bit less flexibility for keeping things smooth over really rough roads.

I own "1000 lb" bars, and have never had an issue with actual performance.
You guys are great!
Getting closer. I need to figure out how much drop I need. The current owner will measure height of the TM hitch later today.
Unless one of y'all can tell me the height off the ground of a level 2720?
TnP-2027 is offline   Reply With Quote