View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 08:11 PM   #10
Oldkayaker

Thanks for the welcome. Since starting this thread I have discovered another oddity. The listings on various dealer's sites have differences in what is standard and what is optional. For example the bath with shower, outside shower and fantastic vent are options on the company website but standard on at least one dealer site. I intend to configure a camper just the way I want it and request an itemized quote as that seems to be the only way to determine the cost of optional equipment. As of now I want the items mentioned above plus AC, swing hitch, alloy wheels and rear bike receiver. I remain undecided about getting the awning and solar panels now or installing them myself later. My wife still works and has no interest in the outdoors other than telling me when to mow the lawn. Hard to believe but she has not once looked inside my ALiner which I bought new in '07. I'm not really a camper, I just need a base camp when kayaking. The ALiner Scout was the stripped model with no sink, stove, refrigerator or toilet. Over the years I have removed literally everything the factory installed. It once had something like TrailManor's dinette setup front and rear with a single cabinet on the right center and a double cabinet left center. It had three ac outlets and two 12v lights but no 12v outlets. It now has a full width storage box/bed across the back which hides an aluminum truck box bolted to the floor. Another box/bed is located left center and hides a 100 qt cooler which is to protect food from extreme heat or cold. The original single cabinet now has casters and is on the left where it hides the porta-potti. On the right is an REI double sink camp kitchen with a Dromedary water bag and a 10 gallon bluebottle gray water tank. I use doorstops to level the sink for proper drainage. The front now has a three drawer Black & Decker garage organizer on each side. I also added wire shelving overhead to give me an attic. Electrically I added three 12v outlets, a 1600 watt inverter, a second battery, solar panels and a fluorescent light. Historically I have mostly camped without electricity but health issues now make that more difficult. I have an implanted cardio device which communicates with an external monitor and it requires ac. My inverter handles the device, the fluorescent light and coffee pot easily but can't handle the heater or microwave. I had decided to add a propane bottle and heater due to the cost and weight of the small propane bottles but on second thought decided to investigate new campers. The one that got me yearning for something new was a Trigano Silver. I passed it on the highway in Italy and then sat next to it waiting in line at the border crossing into Switzerland. Sadly I soon discovered it is made in France and they don't export to the U.S. Google it, they have videos on youtube. Didn't mean to ramble on so I will shut up for now, Earl