View Single Post
Old 06-26-2005, 03:54 PM   #1
Jim-NY

Default Propane tanks interfere with WDH

I purchased an inexpensive round bar "Curt" brand, 1,000-pound WDH on ebay. It seems to be fine other than the fact that when I try to "cam" the brackets over to tighten the chains with the brackets that attach to the trailer A frame, my horizontal propane tanks seem to be right in the way. The WDH came with a lever to flip the cams. On each side this lever hits the tank a few degrees before the cam flips.

To use it when I brought my "new to me" '02 2720SL TM home last weekend, I backed off on the tension one link at a time until I could push the cams over by hand w/o the tool. The trailer was empty and it towed very well even though the fron opf my ttruck was raised a half inch. I am sure when I load the trailer and my truck up, I will need a lot more tension on the springs to keep the front of my truck down.

I was thinking I could put a jack under the spring bar and raise it until I can flip the cam by hand then let it down. I have a scissor jack for the truck that should work. (Reminds me... I need to think about how I will change a tire on trailer too!) But it seems like there must be an easier way.

Another idea is to make a lever that is angled at the end and won't roll sideways when I lift on it. I am thinking I would be able to flip it without the tank interfering with the tool if I engineered it right.

So my real question, before I go off to reinvent the lever, is has anyone had the same problem and how are you dealing with it?

Any ideas are welcome! Thanks.

Jim