View Single Post
Old 04-08-2016, 09:05 PM   #6
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Okay, now you are raising some points that I had not thought much about.

If a TM sitting in my driveway has a tongue weight of 500 lbs, and I use a WDH, when I have my springbars in place, how much is the effective tongue weight on my hitch?

Since Padgett says the WDH transfers some of the weight back to the trailer, and the WDH also transfers some of the weight forward onto the TV axles, it makes sense that the tongue wt is reduced. Is it? If so, roughly by how much?

Or, is that one of those "Go to the scales and weigh trailer alone; hitch the rig then measure each axle; unhitch and weigh TV axles without trailer. Do the math." situations?

My local CAT scale is only accessible from the cab of a semi. When I have used it, I have had to stand on my door jamb, then use my snow scraper to push the button to call the attendant. Much too difficult to do frequently, so I didn't unhitch and to that routine. Would not have been able to reach the button when only my trailer was on the scale. I even had to pass on the full-rig weighing once, as I didn't have my snow brush with me.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote