View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Commodore47's suggestion to run a separate extension cord from the power pedestal to the inside is a great one, and will cure your circuit breaker problems. We use an electric blanket rather than a mattress pad. Neither uses much electricity, but the electric blanket has a dual control so the sleeper nearest that cold outside wall can set a higher temperature.

Re the frozen outside shower, this is a common problem, and is a pain to fix. Since there is no easy way to shut off the water supply to the outside shower, you may want to buy a short heater cable and stuff it behind the door and into the compartment.

If you leave the gray tank drain valve open, that is OK. However, when the time comes to drain the tanks, you should close the gray drain valve and fill the gray tank at least halfway. Then drain the black tank. And last, drain the gray tank. This rinses your gray tank, and rinses the drain hose.

There is no need to put RV antifreeze into the toilet, since the black tank is indoors. As Tentcamper suggested, if you leave the bathroom door open so that the heat from the living area can get into the bathroom, neither the toilet nor the tub plumbing will freeze. Beyond that, I'm not sure that RV antifreeze is good for the thin rubber toilet gasket, which is a pain to replace. (I am also not sure that the RV antifreeze will harm the gasket - but why take a chance?)

RVCycleGuy: All of the outlets inside the TM go back through a single breaker in the breaker box, so splitting your load among multiple outlets has no effect. I seem to recall that one of our members, with some electrical expertise, installed another outlet somewhere inside, and wired it through one of the other breakers. Most of the other breakers are only lightly loaded.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote