View Single Post
Old 07-28-2004, 12:37 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Seal wearing off paint on top of rear shell

Ray -

I had the same problem, though I let it progress much further before I finally took control. After conversation with Larry Loo, I used the UHMW tape he suggested. It is available in reasonable quantity from McMaster-Carr (an amazing company). See http://www.mcmaster.com/ and type 3197 (the catalog page number) into the Find box.

I bought a 15-foot piece of 6-inch-wide tape for about $20. I suspect that narrower tape would have done well, and would be great in other wear areas. Warning - this stuff is REALLY sticky! You will want a windless day and two people with steady hands to apply it. If it wrinkles when you put it on - well, it is forever wrinkled. There is no such thing as pulling it back up, even a little bit, to straighten out a wrinkle. But when you think about it, that's what you really want - something that won't come off no matter what.

The upper surface is tough, abrasion resistant, and VERY slick - it is used as lining in package chutes in the shipping department of manufacturing companies, UPS, etc. The slickness should reduce wear on the bag seals - an added bonus.

I haven't had it in place long enough to give a final thumbs up - but I can't see any problems with it once you get it in place.

Thanks to Larry for making me aware of this stuff.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote