View Single Post
Old 08-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #9
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaft View Post
Interesting comments. I'm clearly not alone in this situation, and various flavors of this situation. Our limits are definitely 8', not 8.5'. Our limits don't require things like fencing or visually concealing the RV. Christ NJ sounds like a nazi state. I'm *from* NJ, and spent a quarter century of my life there, but didn't develop the RV bug there tho. Clearly, I would not get along w/ your neighbors!

I'm a little surprised to hear that the larger RV's require special (commercial?) permits to drive, as I've really never heard many people explicitely mention pursuing things like commercial licensing along with buying an RV. I guess it makes sense to have folks owe up to the same level of competency as others if their rigs have the same characteristics.

My ordinances are governed by the County, not the HOA. Thankfully, for alot of reasons, I don't have an HOA in this neighborhood. The county officials come close enough, thank you very much. While I find myself fairly conventional, I'd say I find it very important that I reserve the *right* to be unconventional, and if my neighbor's going to want to infringe on that for no better reason than he finds my tastes goes against his...there's gonna be a litte friction.

I can see why many folks here might be up in arms about trailer-owners-gone-rampant. It's a town that was built only shortly after the Colonial days...as in verry narrow streets. Understandably...people would get pissed if 1-lane streets are all of a sudden clogged with dozens and dozens of super-wide busses. I actually think the residents that cling to the outdated ordinances are doing themselves a disservice, because really...there's not much difference between a dozen 30'x8' behemoths clogging your street and devaluing your neighborhoods vs. a dozen 32'x8.5" behemoths doing the same. The former is perfectly acceptable by county ordinances--parked on the street for days on end, whereas the 2nd isn't. It's silliness.

I have the means to "play nice" with my neighbors. I have a carport in back that would house a nice class-c rig if I want, so long as I consider it a "commercial vehicle."
I believe the width threshold for permits is 8ft,6". Motorhomes, and drivable units can be operated with nothing more than an standard operator license. Scary thought though when you consider some of these 40ft units are the same chassis and weight as a commercial tractor trailer rig but without the necessary training or instructions.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote