View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvmi312 View Post
We are shopping for a used 3124, KS preferably, and will also be buying a tow vehicle. My questions are: 1) what is the actual weight of a 3124 without personal effects, which I can tally up, and 2) how close to real will the "only 1 gal of gas/100miles" be on my mileage. I know individual vehicle has a strong bearing but an Elkmont will force you down to 10mpg towing. What would a 3124 mpg loss look like by comparison? My quandry is I don't if, for example, a Ford Flex is OK or do I need the higher rated (and lower mpg) Explorer.

Thanks in advance and we looked forward to joining you all soon as TM owners.

Jim in Michigan
The statement, "only 1 gal of gas/100miles" seems to be pretty accurate for most reports here. I have towed with 4 different vehicles and that seems to be fairly accurate.

The weight issue is a different thing. Our 2720 weighs 3930# on the scale and it is just 2 of us and not a lot of gear. I would fully expect that a 3124 loaded for camping could easily weigh well over 4000#.

I would recommend a TV that has a GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Ratio) that leaves enough capacity (after subtracting the weight of the fully loaded TV) of ~5000#.

Pay little attention to the tow rating on the TV. Of course, it must not be exceeded but it means little as to what the fully loaded TV is able to handle.

I would not consider a Ford Flex as a viable tow vehicle for a 3124 TM.

Here are the standard specs on the Flex (as per Cars.com)

Curb weight 4,468 lbs.
GVWR 5,970 lbs.
Towing capacity 2,000 lbs.
GCWR 6,900 lbs.

If you subtract the 5970# GVWR (which could be expected while loaded with passengers and cargo for camping) from the GCWR of 6900#, that only leaves 930# for a fully loaded trailer. As you can see, that tow capacity is not helpful in that case.

The 118" wheel base could be an issue as well. I don't know if a Flex allows a weight distribution hitch but it would be essential with that short WB. I would recommend a TV with a 135+" WB.

It should be mentioned that the Flex may have an available tow package but I can assure you that it would not safely accommodate a 4000+# trailer.

Many people on this forum tow with the Exporer. I won't comment on that but I'm sure that others will. I'm just a diehard "Truck Guy"......