View Single Post
Old 06-16-2023, 02:26 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

My guess - and it is only that - is that the failure had nothing to do with an electrical transient ("surge"). Instead, I'm thinking that the wire nut on the neutral wire was stuffed into the connection box open-end up. That is a big no-no for any potentially water-exposed work involving wire nuts - including any wire nuts used on the electric brakes, by the way. Water collects in the wire nut, corrosion begins on the wires and on the metal spring in the nut. As the diameter of the wires and the spring get smaller, they lose physical contact pressure, develop resistance - and the high current drawn by the AC at startup burns up the connection.

Just my thought - but all the signs point to it, especially the incineration of all the parts. Since the transient (if any) didn't affect anything else in the camper, I'm having a hard time putting the blame on a surge. And the fact that a circuit breaker didn't trip suggests that there was no actual surge. Assuming I am right, a surge protector would not have helped at all.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote