View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 12:53 PM   #3
DanLE46

Default DanLE46

I initially asked the question because when watching the TM set-up video on YouTube, the unit in the demostration video has a rear bumper mounted spare tire and there doesn't appear to be any problem clearing the vertically mounted spare when erecting the unit. When I carry the bikes on my high top Chevy Van I can relatively easily squeeze my 290 lbs between the back of the van and the bikes and can actually partially open the van's rear doors to access things from the rear. Depending on just how high the bike's handle bars are above the receiver tube, it looks like there's a fairly good chance the bed would clear since its initial motion is almost entirely in a vertical direction and the design of the rack carries the bikes significantly further behind the rear bumper than the bumper mounted spare is carried. The self extending support arms might be a different matter though since they swing into position and might not clear the bikes. That's another reason I was asking for the vertical dimension from the top of the receiver to the bottom of the extended bed. Then I could compare those dimensions to how the bikes are carried on the rack regardless of what receiver they mounted in (car, truck, or trailer). DanLE46