View Single Post
Old 05-04-2023, 10:22 AM   #12
jaarnold100

Default Frame question - ceiling support/cab

Appreciate all the discussion but unfortunately, doesn't look like there is a definitive answer. Here is what I know from experimentation:
1) I've included 4 pics - one shows the holes that were from the original mounting of the cabinet. Using a thin bit, on an angle, there is clearly no frame in this area. Screws apparently only drew into the thin aluminum shell.
2) There are two strips of aluminum (four sections, 2 top, 2 bottom) missing on the front wall which are directly behind the cabinet mounting area. These strips originally attached to the cabinet by staples. There are no staple holes where they may have connected to the ceiling/wall. A bit odd as I thought they would either slide behind the ceiling and wall skin to help with mounting or be stapled to this area - but apparently not?
Conclusion: Unfortunately, it would appear that the only thing holding this cabinet up (it's about 15 lbs) are 5 screws through the ceiling skin and 3 in the front wall skin. So, it would appear the downward/vertical force on the wall skin aluminum is holding most of the weight (similar to the wall cabs) and the ceiling screws are basically keeping the cabinet from cantilevering forward.
- This is my conclusion as not a single hole left from the previous mount goes into any type of framing member (verified).

That's my best guess. Any thoughts?
I'm planning to re-hang and add a 2" cleat on each end that screws into the framing member that runs the ceiling (and side wall) length of the coach. This frame rail runs at the top of wall, not within the ceiling so the cleat is the only options I can come up with for added support.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MountHole-NoFrame.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	21950   Click image for larger version

Name:	AlumStrip-Cab.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	21951   Click image for larger version

Name:	AlumStrip-CabAttach.jpg
Views:	32