View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
As it happens, I use an Aeroforce Interceptor. When I bought, it was about the same price as a ScanGauge, was better looking, but displayed only two parameters at a time, whereas the Scan Gauge displayed four.
That is good to know, as I had not known about the Aeroforce, so I will definitely check it out. One thing I did notice is that the Scangauge display resolution is very poor -- I don't understand that.

Quote:
It is probably important to realize that these "gauges" don't actually measure anything. What they do is read and display whatever information is on your vehicle's computer data bus.
Yes, I realize this. But from reading the forum posts (including some from Scangauge), the problem doesn't sound like it lies in the fact that the vehicle does not provide this information on the data bus. The problem sounds more like Scangauge has not figured out how to read it. My vehicle has some sort of ATF sensor, as there is a dummy light on the dash that illuminates when the ATF temp reaches a certain temperature. Of course, maybe this isn't a temperature probe per se, but some sort of relief valve that actuates a switch. But this Scangauge problem is new with 2005 and later Toyotas. Scangauge can read ATF temp on 2004 and older Toyotas, and I can't see them removing that functionality; it sounds like they redesigned the bus architecture or something.

Quote:
As for the location where the measurement is actually made (pan, cooler, etc)? I'm not sure you will ever figure out the exact location. My feeling is that I don't really care where it is made. I have faith that the measurement is made somewhere that is meaningful to the car's computer - otherwise, why measure it at all? What I watch for is a change from the baseline. In other words, I don't really care whether the initial reading is 175 or 185. What I look for is a 20 degree rise, or a 40 degree rise, from the baseline.
My question here was more about where to install an ATF temperature probe somewhere in the tranny system myself if I cannot get Scangauge or the Interceptor to read it off the OBD bus. To do this, I'd have either drill a hole in the tranny pan and screw in a sensor, or cut out a piece of ATF line to install an inline sensor, and then run a wire from this sensor to a display unit in the cab. That's the only way I know how to get ATF temp if that's the case. But your point about watching for swings or trends relative to a baseline is well taken, and that's probably good enough, and certainly better than no monitor at all.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote