View Single Post
Old 11-13-2011, 09:42 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Dave - those are good images, better than the ones I have posted in the past. And they all seem to say about the same thing. Thanks for the link.

As it happens, I use an Aeroforce Interceptor. When I bought, it was about the same price as a ScanGauge, was better looking, but displayed only two parameters at a time, whereas the Scan Gauge displayed four. The choice is yours, of course.

It is probably important to realize that these "gauges" don't actually measure anything. What they do is read and display whatever information is on your vehicle's computer data bus. If some parameter (like transmission temp) is there, the "gauge" will display it, because they are designed to be able to display everything. If the parameter is not there, the gauge cannot create it. So when the gauge manufacturer says "Our gauge probably will measure tranny temp", what he is really saying is "Toyota probably puts the information on the computer bus, but we have no way to be sure". So when you get an answer like this from any of the gauge manufacturers, the next step is not to harangue him - he has no control over it - but to try to get the info from Toyota or one of its technical web sites.

As for the location where the measurement is actually made (pan, cooler, etc)? I'm not sure you will ever figure out the exact location. My feeling is that I don't really care where it is made. I have faith that the measurement is made somewhere that is meaningful to the car's computer - otherwise, why measure it at all? What I watch for is a change from the baseline. In other words, I don't really care whether the initial reading is 175 or 185. What I look for is a 20 degree rise, or a 40 degree rise, from the baseline.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote