View Single Post
Old 08-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #33
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Bobby -

Those Jiffy Pop things don't hold a fire to the Whirley Pop machine. Jiffy Pops are inconsistent, at least in my experience (and maybe I just never got the technique down), and it was hard not to get them to burn. And when you're successful in producing a tasteful product, there's usually a TON of unpopped kernels. The Whirley Pop is simple, easy, and has perfect results every time, with nice fluffy popcorn. Then season to taste.

I'm guessing the "crud" in the muffin man machine is probably minerals - that's what you get when you distill water. Spring or filtered water may help, and will certainly be better than well water, but if you want ZERO crud, buy a $1.50 gallon of distilled water at the grocery store. It has virtually no mineral content, and should boil dry while leaving no residue.

Dave
Yeah, the same thing happens with me and jiffy pop....and I was just kinda being silly with my response. We actually have one of those replica popcorn machines in our house that we bought at Sam's Club that has a kettle in it that works just like the Whirley Pop.

I have been going to a local wholesaler that sells case quantity items (even to the general public), that you see in stores, as well as supplies for store popcorn, hotdog, & snow cone machines.

They sell a popcorn pak from Great Western, that has the oil, popcorn, seasoning all pre-measured and packed together. You just pour all the contents into the kettle/whirley pop and you have great tasting yellow movie popcorn. You can get different paks according to the size of your kettle.

My kettle takes the 4oz size, but I buy the 8oz ones and use half each time. It's like $17 for a case of 24 bags (or 48 the way I do it). I can't get them off the internet for that price.

Just something to think about, as I'm sure everyone has a wholesale store like this nearby. It is some real good popcorn.

http://www.gwproducts.com/dualpack/

Dave, now you've made me go want to pop some up.