View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinOn View Post
I, too, am planning an exchange of brake controllers from my current Reese to a Prodigy P3 proportional controller. I have a couple of questions:

1. The P3 can toggle back and forth between for use with electric braking or for use with “electric over hydraulic braking” systems. I assume that when it is used with a TM trailer only the electric braking feature would ever be in use. Correct?

2. On eTrailer's site the listing for the P3 (for use with a 2010 Ford-150) there is also a sidebar ad for an “In-Line Circuit Breaker” – 20 or 30 amp. Checking around for possible reasons why anyone would want an easy way to “take out” the P3, I found only a couple of possibilities:

a. Use the Circuit Breaker to disallow the Controller to drain the battery when vehicle is not in use, and/or

b. Use the Circuit Breaker to disallow the Controller to govern trailer brakes when backing into a site that has a slope at some point.

Am I correct in any of the above? Are there other reasons to use or not to use a breaker or to use the "electric over hydraulic" option?

Thanks.
1. Yes, I think. The P3's only inputs (other than power) are electric from the same switch under the dash that runs the brake lights, and of course the deceleration it senses. The output to the trailer brakes is only electric. I haven't heard of electro-hydraulic brakes on an RV but maybe there's a future possibility out there somewhere.

2. If I remember correctly, the wiring bundle from the brake controller has an inline fuse supplied. The power supply for the brake controller should be on the switched side of the ignition switch, so there's no battery drain issue to worry about. There's not an issue about backing, because the p3/prodigy doesn't activate without the brake pedal. In extreme/clever backing circumstances where you are applying the brakes at the same time while backing up a hill there might be a hypothetical possibility, but it's never actually happened to me (I often back up a long driveway with occasional (ahem) stops and adjustments enroute). I don't know an operational reason to disconnect the brake controller, but I do pull the plug on mine and put it away when I'm not going to be towing for awhile, just for a little bit better knee clearance.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote