View Single Post
Old 05-05-2006, 08:49 AM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I've said it before, but maybe it bears repeating. When most of us say "Can I tow my TM with such-and-such a tow vehicle", we mentally zero in on the pulling part of towing. We worry about mountains, and accelerating onto the freeway, and so forth.

However, pulling is only part of towing. Another is maintaining control in emergency maneuvers. If your tow vehicle suddenly blows a front tire, what happens? If another driver darts in front of you, and you have to throw your rig into a sudden evasive maneuver, what happens? If you drive out onto a bridge and are suddenly hit with a 30 mph cross-wind, what happens?

If you have a proper tow vehicle, the answer is "Not much". But if your tow vehicle is too small, or too light, or too short, the answer is different. The trailer - any trailer, not just a TM - will throw your car around like a dog playing with a bone. Dangerous? Oh, yeah!

I don't know why anyone would try to tow a trailer with an undersized tow vehicle. That doesn't mean you need Hummer or a moose of a pickup truck. But if the trailer weighs 3500 pounds, and the tow vehicle is optimistically rated (that is, factory-rated, which is optimistic by definition) at 3500 pounds, you might want to think twice.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote