View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #18
Larryjb
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Larry -

Yes, you could power up the TM with the battery disconnected. I don't think anything would be affected. The converter doesn't care - and of course you could snap off the circuit breaker that feeds it.

That IVATION dehumidifier looks nice. I would question the claim that it is more energy-efficient than a conventional dehumidifier (thermoelectric devices are notoriously inefficient), but that is no big deal.

If you store the TM in an area that is subject to freezing, you could buy a small heater as you suggest. Like you, I would be worried about fire. Or you could buy a thermal switch to simply shut off the dehumidifier when the temperature drops too low. No need to dehumidify when the temp is below freezing.

By the way, why can't you power up the TM when it is closed? It is easy to pull the power cord out before you close it. Just my thought.

Bill
1) You're quite right that the thermoelectric devices aren't all that efficient. But, rated in the 80 Watt range, they will use less energy than a compressor type dehumidifier as long as I'm not trying to drop the humidity below a certain amount. Using a heater may unravel all my power savings though.

Perhaps I can plug the dehumidifier to the trailer plug and pull the plug during the coldest times. Then use a separate extension cord to power the heater so I can use the heater during the 0-5°C temperatures.

2) I thought about shutting the dehumidifier off when the temperatures get below 5°C. However, that's when I'll get the most condensation. The moisture won't be in the air, as you say, but it could very well be in the form of condensation. However, if the dehumidifier was keeping the humidity low beforehand, there wouldn't be much humidity to begin with. The other thing to consider is that warming the air in the TM might help the dehumidifier remove moisture more effectively.

3) I forgot that, yes, it is possible to plug in the TM when closed. You just have to pull the plug out before closing the TM. Just remember to close the plastic cover before closing the TM. I almost lost it once!

2002 Tahoe
2008 4.6 Explorer
2001 2720SD

Various TM images that you may or may not find elsewhere:
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/forum/album.php?u=11700
Larryjb is offline   Reply With Quote